My Shortlist 0

Ask Thurrock

Young people and families directory


What should I do if I am worried about a child?

What to do if you're worried about a child

Abuse can take different forms. Common types of abuse are:

  • physical abuse such as hitting, punching and burning
  • emotional abuse can mean constantly threatening or putting a child or young person down so that they feel unloved and worthless
  • sexual abuse such as forcing or persuading a child or young person to take part in any kind of sexual activity. It can include inappropriate touching, kissing or sexual intercourse. It can also involve looking at, or being involved in pornographic material or videos
  • neglect - not providing enough food, clothing, shelter, medical care or education. It can also mean leaving a child alone and at risk

What to do if you're worried

If you're worried at all about a child's safety - act on it!

You can phone, write or call our Initial Response Team. Phone immediately if you believe it is urgent.

Children Education and Families Initial Response Team

: 01375 652 802 or 01375 652 634

Emergency Duty Social Work Team

: 01375 372 468 (out of hours)

Police Child Abuse Team

: 01277 266 822

Call 999 if you think a child needs immediate protection

Powered by Open Objects