Skip to main content

What should I do if I am worried about a child?

What to do if you're worried about a child

Abuse can take different forms. Common types of abuse are:

  • physical abuse such as hitting, punching and burning
  • emotional abuse can mean constantly threatening or putting a child or young person down so that they feel unloved and worthless
  • sexual abuse such as forcing or persuading a child or young person to take part in any kind of sexual activity. It can include inappropriate touching, kissing or sexual intercourse. It can also involve looking at, or being involved in pornographic material or videos
  • neglect - not providing enough food, clothing, shelter, medical care or education. It can also mean leaving a child alone and at risk

What to do if you're worried

If you're worried at all about a child's safety - act on it!

You can phone, write or call our Initial Response Team. Phone immediately if you believe it is urgent.

Children's Services initial response

Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 802


Emergency contact outside of office hours

: 01375 372 468

For use outside of normal office hours:

  • Monday to Thursday, 4:30pm to 9am
  • Friday, from 4:30pm through the weekend until 9am on Monday
  • public holidays

Police Child Abuse Team

: 01277 266 822

Call 999 if you think a child needs immediate protection

Skip back to top of page Feedback