Skip to main content

Tax Credit and Child Benefit Information

Tax Credit and Child Benefit Information

We recommend you contact HMRC to see if you are eligible.

You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you’re responsible for if they are:

  • Under 16 years old
  • Under 20 years old and in approved education or training

You do not need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. You get money for each child that qualifies and Child Tax Credit will not affect your Child Benefit. How much you get depends on things like your income and other circumstances (e.g if your child is disabled). You can claim at any time of the year and apply for Child and Working Tax Credits on the same form.

Working Tax Credit

You could get Working Tax Credit if:

  • You’re aged 16 or over
  • You work a certain number of hours a week
  • Your income is below a certain level

The amount you get depends on your circumstances and your income

Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits

Childcare and Tax Credits

You could get extra Tax Credits to help pay for some of your childcare costs whilst you’re working depending on the hours you work.

Couples usually* have to work 16 hours a week each. Only one of you has to work these hours if the other person is:

  • Entitled to carer’s allowance
  • In hospital or prison
  • Getting certain benefits  or credits for disability or illness – e.g Disability Living  Allowance, Attendance Allowance or a disability premium for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit

*this is dependant on your circumstances.

The childcare must be OFSTED registered to be eligible to claim up to 70% of your childcare costs depending on your income.

Number of Children                

One Child                                  Two Children or more     

Weekly limit on costs  

One Child                                  Two Children or more     

£175                                         £300

Percentage of costs you can get help with

One Child                                  Two Children or more     

70%                                          70%

MAXIMUM Tax Credits or childcare

One Child                                  Two Children or more

 £175 x 70% = £122.50              £300 x 70% = £210

Child Benefit

(This is additional to claiming Child Tax Credit) As from January 2013 - You can claim this if you or your partner have an INDIVIDUAL income of less than £50,000. If an individual income is between £50,000 - £60,000 you can claim a percentage of Child Benefit depending on the amount of income.

Universal Credit From October 2013

Changes to the Welfare Reform Act 2012 This is designed to simplify the benefits system by bringing together a range of workingage benefits into a single streamlined payment.

Universal Credits will be launched in 2013 and will gradually replace:

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

We recommend you contact HMRC to find out if you are entitled to these Tax Credits

Personal Information*

Be prepared to have the information listed below at hand before telephoning for both you and/or your partner if a joint claim. See for details and dates of Financial Information you will need to have to hand.

The information will consist of: 

If you and your partner are claiming you will need both National Insurance Numbers. 

  • Income for the last financial tax year P60, or final payslip for the tax year. 
  • Details of your income if your were self employed.
  • Details of any benefits you maybe receiving from Job Seekers Allowance or Carers allowance.
  • Details of any other income you may get like savings interest or pensions.
  • Details of any childcare payments you make if you use an OFSTED registered provider.
  • If employed – Your Employers Name & Address, Employers PAYE Reference Number displayed on your payslip.

*You will need the following information and figures for both you and your partner                                                              

  • Income Total pay from all employed work GROSS amounts - Total Earnings      
  • Deductions - Flat rate expenses agreed by your Employer
  • Personal Pensions contributions (Not offered through employer)
  • Statutory Maternity, Paternity or Adoption Payments. i.e. £100 for 30 weeks = £3,000 (Don’t include Maternity Allowance) - Total Deductions

Total Earnings – Total Deductions = Final amounts for you and your partner. 


Skip back to top of page Feedback